Project: Customize an Org
These are technical notes I compiled while studying using Trailhead, Salesforce's free self-learning portal.
Manage User AccessCreate new users.
- Users are set up via: Setup » Quick Find » “Users” » Users » New User
Manage ChatterUse Chatter to follow account records. Create a chatter group.
- Account records can be “Followed” via: App Launcher » Accounts tab » Select an Account Record » “Follow” button
- Create new Chatter Groups via: App Launcher » “Groups” in search box » “New” button
- Users can subsequently be added to the Chatter Group
- To create a poll within a Chatter group, access the group, then click the Poll tab
Modify Your Data ModelCustomize Fields. Create Dependent Picklists. Create a Support Process. Add Picklist Values. Create Record Types.
- Orgs can have custom fields for each of the tabs and objects that the organization uses, with an upper limit of 800 fields
- Custom field names and labels must be unique
- Add fields with Setup » Object Manager » Some Object » Fields & Relationships » New
- Edit that field by accessing the Object record and clicking the Pencil icon near it
- A dependent picklist is a “custom or multi-select picklist for which the valid values depend on the value of another field, called the controlling field.”
- Access dependent picklists via: Setup » Object Manager » Select an object » Fields & Relationships » Field Dependencies
- Support processes use the status field to identify a case within the support lifecycle.
- To set up support processes » Setup » Quick Find » “Support Processes” » Support Processes
- Picklist values specific to a situation reduce your users’ frustration and improve accuracy over a generic bucket where a catch-all would be otherwise selected.
- Access Picklists via: Setup » Object Manager » Select an Object » Fields & Relationships » Type
- Record types determine the business processes, picklist values, and page layouts that are available to you when creating records.
- Access via: Setup » Object Manager » Select an Object » Record Types
Configure an Email Letterhead and TemplateCreate a Letterhead. Letterhead + Email Template. Send an Email Test.
- Files can be added to the org via: App Launcher » Search box » “Files” » Upload Files button
- Letterheads can be added to the org via: App Launcher » Search box » “Letterheads” » Enhanced Letterheads » New
- Images uploaded to the org’s Files can be added to Letterheads
- Letterhead + Email Templates
- Letterheads can be added to email templates via: App Launcher » Search field » “Email templates” » Email Templates » New Email Template
- Set an Email via: Selecting a Contact » Select Email under Activity » Select the (very small) Insert, Create, or Update Template button. The email can then be edited inline.
Automate Your Business ProcessCreate Assignment Rules. Create Escalation Rules.
- Assignment rules define conditions that determine how leads or cases are processed.
- Set up queues via: Setup » Quick Find » “Queues”
- Queues allow groups of users to manage a shared workload more effectively.
- Set up Case Assignment Rules via » Setup » Quick Find » “Case Assignment Rules”
- Escalation rules automatically escalate a case when it meets the criteria you choose. The example in the proejct involves sending an email.
- Set up escalation rules via: Setup » Quick Find » “Escalation Rules”