These are technical notes I compiled while studying using Trailhead, Salesforce's free self-learning portal.
Get Started with the Salesforce Mobile AppName some of the benefits of using the Salesforce mobile app. Explain why it’s important to customize the mobile app. Find and download the app. Choose your working environment for the app.
- Why should you take the time to customize the Salesforce mobile app?
- It can significantly improve the experience of mobile users.
- The Salesforce mobile app connects to which environment by default?
- Production org
Create Global Quick ActionsDescribe the differences between the two main types of actions. Create a global action. Configure fields in an action layout. Set a predefined value for a field on an action layout. Add an action to the Salesforce mobile app by editing the global publisher layout.
- Quick Actions are like shortcuts. They offer a fast way for mobile users to launch a specific workflow in the Salesforce mobile app, like creating records, logging calls, or sharing files.
- You can create custom actions tailored to your own business processes and use cases.
- Each action has its own unique page layout, so you can limit the fields to just the ones mobile users truly need.
- You can prepopulate fields on the page layout to save mobile users some time.
- Types of quick actions:
- Object-specific actions let users create or update records in the context of a particular object. Show up on record detail pages.
- Global actions let users create records, but the new record has no relationship with other records.
- They’re things that users want to do quickly, but not necessarily completely. Example: quickly creating a “New Prospect.”
- When customizing action layouts for mobile users, less is more. A best practice is to include fewer than five fields, and definitely no more than eight.
- Create a Global Action via: Setup » Quick Find » “Actions”
- Add an Action to the Global Publisher Layout via: Setup » Quick Find » “Publisher”
- The Global Publisher Layout makes the action readily visible on the App
Create Object-Specific Quick ActionsCreate an object-specific action. Add an action to an object’s page layout. Test an object-specific action in the Salesforce mobile app.
- Object-Specific actions are different from Global Actions in a couple ways:
- Object-specific actions can update records.
- Object-specific actions can create records that are automatically associated with related information. For example, a user could initiate an action that simultaneously creates a contact and associates it with an account.
- They are added to specific objects’ page layout, not the global publisher layout.
Customize Compact LayoutsExplain why it’s important to customize compact layouts. Create a new compact layout. Assign a compact layout to users.
- When you open a record in the Salesforce mobile app, you see highlights about that record in the header of the page. Compact layouts control which fields appear in the header. For each object, you can assign up to 10 fields, including the Name field, to display in that area.
- Unlike with page layouts where you can assign a different layout to each profile, one compact layout is applied to all users.
- To create a new compact layout, open the object to which it will be applied in Setup > Object Manager.
Customize NavigationExplain the two main options you have for customizing your users’ navigation experience: the Mobile Only app and Lightning apps. Explain how to get to the Menu and the mobile App Launcher.
- The thumb-friendly navigation bar lives at the bottom of your screen. It puts important navigation items in easy reach while users get work done.
- Go to the navigation menu by tapping Menu. This is where users can access all the objects, apps, and items available to them.
- There are two navigation experiences: one for users who’ve logged in to the new mobile app for the first time, and one for users who’ve switched to a Lightning app using the mobile App Launcher.
- To customize, enter “Navigation” into Quick Find in Setup and find Salesforce Navigation
- The first four items in the list become the first four icons in the navigation bar for your users. Choose them wisely.
- What are Smart Search Items? A set of the user’s recently accessed objects
- When you customize mobile navigation items in Setup, your users will see your changes: In the navigation menu and the first four items of the navigation bar in the Mobile Only app
- The navigation items for a Lightning app are available on mobile: In the navigation menu and the first four items of the navigation bar, when users are in the app