Describe what a Salesforce admin does. List the skills that Salesforce admins use in their work. Explain how Salesforce business users can empower their admins.
What Is a Salesforce Admin?
- Salesforce Administrators (“Admins”) are an operational role that:
- Works with stakeholders to define processes and customize the Salesforce Platform
- Helps their company’s users get the most out of Salesforce by making the platform work for specific user needs
- Brings innovation by automating business processes, creating reports and dashboards, training users on Salesforce, and staying on top of platform updates
- Technical skills
- Automation: create/maintain processes to facilitate completion of repetitive tasks
- User Management: create/assign users, work with permissions/licenses, delegate users, etc
- Data Management: direct how data is stored, collected, reviewed, used
- Security: protect the business by making sure the right users work with the right data
- Reporting: create and manaage access to visual representations of data
- Change Management: guide users through updates or changes to previous processes. Encourage adoption of new features.
- Troubleshooting: Investigate and resolve org and user issues
- Nontechnical skills
- Problem Solving
- Business Analysis
- Project Management
- Business Knowledge
- Daily Activities
- Business Needs Analysis: Analyze processes along with stakeholders/users to make informed decisions that increase business efficiency and ensure users have the best experience possible.
- Research: Look for the best tools/features to use for business needs. Get familiar with new functionality/features as they become available in Salesforce. Stay current on platform updates and evaluate how those updates affect current processes/functionality.
- Salesforce Platform Management: Improve processes to make the platform work efficiently given ongoing changes to business processes and platform capabilities
- Case Management: Handle cases that their users create
- Password reset requests
- Permission set assignments
- Requests for new automated processes, etc.
- Use their cases as a to-do list and make sure all business users’ needs are met by staying on top of the queue.
- Training: Develop training for users after they have implemented platform solutions and processes.
- Implementation: Work with stakeholders to prioritize projects, set up the solution correctly, and monitor adoption.
Salesforce Users Can Empower Their Admins
- Recognize that the admin is the Salesforce expert: When stakeholders request new features, they should seek out the admin’s advice and acknowledge the admin’s expertise.
- Allow time for strategic planning: Admins receive a high volume of messages and emails. Organizations should make sure that admins have time in their busy days for strategic planning, so they can generate new ideas/processes that benefit the company in the long run.
- Strategic planning is where real business efficiency comes from.
These notes were taken while studying using Salesforce's free self-learning portal, Trailhead.